Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I will not write a lullaby

to soothe unsettled
half-finished conversations
we almost had

You are surrounded by freesias
and a home not of your own making

I am surrounded by light and sound

immersed in the only things, which offer
purchase on uncertain ground.

Yes, I know fragility
it follows me close
always stepping in time
to my tread
scraping the skin from my heels.

I will not give the sonnet release

For that moment
is time
stolen
kept inside a stained-timber cupboard
and bereft
mourning to be the song
I have not yet sung

God and I,
we argue constantly

He will not give me a sign

And I will not become his Angel
on earth
hoisting the flag over a lack-lustre humanity
too jaded
by faded banners

You will laugh
at me
for you always have
with that throaty chuckle
your eyes filled with
seven blonde-haired girls
dancing to the sun
falling down one by one
to smile at a sky
dotted by myriad interpretations.

I only want to hear you say

Yes f*ck it, it is important

But you will not
because you are not so sure
anymore

Your tread is faltering on the
church steps
the crumbling banister
gritty beneath your seeking fingers.

God and I,
we argue all the time.

He speaks
through the hubbub
of my life
telling me
I will leave something for history


But not if I don’t write it.

The impasse
broken in a small stream
of invective
leaking through the fissures

seeking light

4 comments:

burning moon said...

oh yessss! Well done! Well said!
This is great. The repetiton is absolutely perfectly timed, the imagery is flawlessly beautiful. I have read all that you've posted here and they are all beautiful poems. Sometimes I forget just how good you really are. Those glossy black feathers and golden threads that first captured my imagination.
I want to respond to all of these individually because I have some comments I wamted to make, but should be working on my essay so i don't know when i will get to them, but they're really good solid writing Chris. It was such pleasure to read them.

Chris Never said...

Thankyou Moon *smile*

Im glad you are enjoying my current out pourings, this one is actually an older one, just giving it a home at last *grin*

Now, get on with the essay, comment when you can, thats fine, I know you will when you can find the time.

Im away for a few days from tomorrow, so Ill catch up with you next week *smile*

be good
take care
and do your homework *grin*

Bridget M. said...

Wow. Just holy wow!

I wrote an entry yesterday in a very awful frame of mind and yours was the first site I visited today and I feel like you're speaking directly to me. It's eerie. Beautifully eerie.

Will you be putting up all of your older writings? Please do, I would love to see all of it. You touch me.

Chris Never said...

Hi Bridget, yes, as time allows, I will be putting up more both old and new writings *smile*.