Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Our farewell
will be as ambiguous
as every other encounter

Your cell phone
pressed lover close to your ear
whispering the
beckon of Dallas
and all the promises they can give
laid out in a tongue of caress

The party is winding down
chips scattered on the carpet
crushed in

A spilt wine
stain
ignored too long

now a permanent reminder

Your body
curves an S
as you lean against the counter
laughing into the phone

We will not look at each other
yet

Your body emanates
a wave of heat
that strikes hard against
pliable me
bending to you
a genuflection
of bowed will

If I do not look
I cannot cry out
the words torn and born
against all resistance
a baby birthed
in a back alley
and screaming for sustenance

If I do not say farewell
you cannot leave

But now you are
gathering yourself
eyes downcast
so as not to burn me
you kiss others
cheek peck
promises of contact.

Lips warm
yield
a bended knee
of submission
from me

No comments: