Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Something Beautiful

I'm writing something beautiful for you

It's the only thing I have to give


It does not come so easily
these days

the words are shy and try to turn back
as I draw them to my fingers

The cat is scratching at the door
a tabby paw
shooting through the gap underneath
and retreating just as fast

She loves me
though her love is fleeting
and given to leaving at a moments notice

That branch I have not trimmed
the oak
is brushing against the window
sliding out erratic notes of life song
upon the glass
delicate the sound
a chiming
keeping time to my typing

The phone will not ring tonight
no one will chance to switch
on the naked bulb
swinging above me
the dark coils within the pc hum
and I am numb
a place where heat and cold
fold into themselves and touch me not

I was hoping to write you the sun
all brimming light and rays
to fill the days you have not seen

But tonight
I have only soft silent patience
a mauve scented lavender rhyme
a fractured way of keeping time
with my heart
the simple beat
endless and familiar

urging the words to surge through me
to you

find you where ever you are
reach you and beseech you
to feel me

2 comments:

burning moon said...

that's beautiful. it encompasses the full range of one of your poems, which is a considerable feat.

Chris Never said...

Thanks Moon, I'm just getting it out as much as I can, best thing for me is to write and write, the release is good