Sunday, July 20, 2008

Decay

Sky and I arrive early at the cafe
sit with our backs to the
panorama windows
so we don't see them walking in.

Rick is holding Shell's hand
his fingers
clouds
upon which she floats gently
above the morning drizzle
catching the soft glow of sunrise
in her teeth
and swallowing deeply.

Michelle kisses my cheek
her hand
grasps mine
the cold
so pervasive
I see the faint blue veins
in my wrist freeze
and solidify
the surge of warmth
merely memory
for my skin
to long for.

When she speaks,
the muscles in her throat
stretch taut
and the battle to articulate begins.

The fibers are failing,
pathways become overgrown
and dotted with weeds,
the roads, unclear beneath
a tangled maze of decay.

Words are formed
forced past rusted gates
pushed forth till they break through
a wall of thorns
the empty castle's silent halls
the still figures of frozen denizens
beyond the clutch
of
Sleeping Beauty's nightmares.

Rick says he hasn't gotten past
denial yet
and laughs
but the glow of humor
never reaches his eyes.

We talk of kids pageants
and parties
of late night pickups

I lean back against the elephant
just momentarily
and spy a wheel chair
lurking outside
all shining chrome wheels
and heavy leather arm rests
Michelle's name
etched in runes on the soft seat
glowing in the mornings feeble light.

Time requires no Cronus for her

She measures days
in the progression of decay
the girl/woman/child
peels away slowly
layers falling in dead drifts
at her feet

She recalls vibrancy

the joy of fluid motion
shifting in the sinuous
dance of life

a light faintly
flickering as it disappears
down deep recesses
caverns of grim aspect
swallowing her whole.

We leave first
so we don't watch her
struggle to stand

following closely

the etiquette of dying

7 comments:

burning moon said...

wow, this packs a real wallop in the end. I'd suggest changing the title so that the end has even more impact. Great poem

Chris Never said...

Cool, I will change the title to something a little less revealing.

Tell me, you say it packs a wallop in the end, is it too slow to get started do you think?

Do I need to trim it down, I know its long...

burning moon said...

no, I like the set up, and on re-reading it I don't see anything that's superfluous.

One thing, when I first read this, I thought Michelle was the person with you. Part of the 'we' in the first line. I thought the poem was a comparison of your relationship with the relationship of the sick girl and her husband. On reading it through again it's pretty clear, but maybe instead of 'we' in the first line you might say '____ and I'?
It's probably not a big problem, but might make it easier for a first read.

I didn't find it overly long. I was interested in what was happening all the way through.

Maybe: 'Sleeping Beauty's nightmares'

Chris Never said...

Fantastic, thank-you , great suggestions which I have implemented already.

Is the title ok now?

burning moon said...

I have a little niece named Skye. She lives in Melbourne and is the sweetest little dolly girl you could imagine. Blue eyes and blonde ringlets.

burning moon said...

title, hmm, maybe Fairytale Nightmares?

Chris Never said...

Sky and I

nice little rhyme to start the piece off.

Skye sounds like a cute little girl *smile*

I wish my kids were still cute *grin*
stead of creatures from the outer rim of the galaxy these days

Now that title is an interesting choice, I'm wondering if there is enough emphasis on the whole Sleeping Beauty thing to carry that though....

food for thought as they say *smile*

You have been exceedingly helpful on this piece my dear Moon *hugs*