Friday, July 06, 2007

Self Indulgence

I was going to write something all deep and self important sounding

But it isn’t there today

hasn’t been there for many days in truth

I am not as important as I had once believed

The world spins wildly
and I am holding on with the tips of fingers
numbed and straining
teeth gritted

I have tried to track
when the changes occurred
from the days when I knew without a shadow of a doubt I
was the centre of my universe
and you all revolved around me
satellites giving light and colour to a sky only I could fly

nice rhyme Chris, slipped it in without a ripple of unruly

I don't mind that I am becoming background noise

I despise it

There is a place called Oblivion
and I am driving there now
music running down the leather seats of my car
threatening to drown me

and yes
I would drown in song
as I sail into my sky
a moments clarity
is worth a thousand days of just being

You think its all up for grabs
and then your fingers finally succumb to the ache
and you slip off the side of the world

No one even hears you falling

3 comments:

burning moon said...

ah yes ... I know it well, this song

Bridget M. said...

So intense, Chris. When you loosen up it's like a careless maestro unleashing his greatest work unintentionally. Beautiful. My favorite part was the music running down the seats. Amazing.

Chris Never said...

It is a song I try not to play very often, but it does come through loud and clear sometimes *sigh*, thankyou Moonmaid.


Bridget ~ Love your descriptive *grins*, don't know that I deserve it, but I still love it.

It is a constant struggle between the poet of restraint and self control and the wild haired jungle boy who comes howling out of the treeline with words burning his fingertips *smile*

I am getting better at it though, and I think, eventually, a combination of the two will be the writer I am/are/was meant to be, getting closer all the time.