Friday, May 18, 2007

Explanation not given

I give you no opportunity
to commune with me on any level
deeper than the thick
congealing blood in my mouth

You are asking me

leaning over my shoulder
the soft sacred scent of lavender
assailing

how I can write poetry
when I will not allow an emotion
to come within hailing distance

A ship
far out to sea
swaying gently on a
soulless swell

How can I explain?

Poems are runes
hieroglyphs
still warm with the chant of ancient priests
glowing deep in the depths
of our bellies

They are sustenance
and famine
to leave us
sated and starving everyday

and everyday
is another search

another projection of purest intention

Another sad and sorry tale
never mentioned in pleasant conversation
but running
an undercurrent tugging at the legs of our jeans
drawing us toward a vortex of thought made physical

The words are older than our forefathers
longer than their straggling beards
deeper than the bass timbre of their
remember voices

They call forth
all the essence of humanity

in shining perfection

and recollections of
shame and dismay

And they taste
of copper
as the heave themselves from my stomach
to land
flopping and stumbling
onto the page

With gentle care
I will teach them to speak
train each sentence
in the vagaries of nuance

I will give them
the internal rhythm

A breath of life
the in
the ex

and they will calm
beneath my ministrations

respond to my measure tone
and slowly give us

the next chapter
of tomorrows to come

You will turn away

a reflection of my grim countenance

from another explanation

not given




3 comments:

burning moon said...

You have no emotion? lololol! Hmmm ... interesting. You might allow, or even insist, on the head ruling ... but the heart is always there, pushing into the front.
There are some truly lovely moments in this poem. I especially loved this bit:

Poems are runes
hieroglyphs
still warm with the chant of ancient priests
glowing deep in the depths
of our bellies

Bridget M. said...

The acrimony just seeps from this. Well done.

Chris Never said...

Yes well, my brain and my heart are always in disagreement over control of this body *grin*
Thanks Moonmaid :)


Hiya Bridget, thankyou *smile*