Wednesday, June 14, 2006

All the time in the world

was never long enough

I was given the skill

but not the eternity
I would need to perfect it.

Now
sunset comes
a satin sheet rippling
scarlet folds
to fall upon my silhouette.

I'm hiding secrets daily

death and denial
beneath
socks and underwear
pushing them deep into the
old explorers I never wore because
they were too thick.

You will not find them
because you never thought to look

or perhaps
you just assumed I'd tell you

Goodbye is
the scent of shaving cream
on the collar of a shirt

The feel of an old woollen pullover
when you drag it out of moth balls
to cry on

The photo's
which really aren’t all that good
but when they become all you have
take on the stunning light and shade
of a Monet
the colors blending into
a glorious garden
painted just
to make you weep

I would not wish this
absence on you love

Gather the children
and hold them tight
draw warmth
comfort

Look into their eyes
and see me sometimes

Watch them laugh
and hear me sometimes

I will finish this rush of words

and leave a
poem on the table

for you to find tomorrow

No comments: