Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I bruised my knuckles
on Melbourne's dourer sky 

Heavy tread 

we are almost there you said
but the grim pavement 
whispers
still a ways to wander
 little lost souls

still days to plunder
with a dazzling smile
like the rasp of the nail file
across my skin


The tram lines 
carve Collins street in twain
look closely
you can just barely 
see the blood stain
a dull crust
on the polished metal railing 

Someone asks me for money

but politely 
not like France
where they will stab you
 given half a chance

Here they beg
with embarrassed eyes
and the dirty hands 
shake just a little
as if accepting the money
makes them
less than a beggar 

How can one be
less than a beggar?


He spins and curls back into the throng

roaming aimless along Swanston
lost in the myriad

We never arrive 

we never even 
assumed we would


the blood wells
from my hands
and you kiss them
the copper tart
 on your lips

 





 

5 comments:

burning moon said...

hmm, as always you really know how to capture the feel of the street.

I kind of want the he and we to be more defined .. tangible, if you know what I mean? I want them to have substance. I don't know whether that's possible without destroying the delicate weave of rhyme and story here though. I feel as though I have part of the story, the middle part. Maybe you could write a beginning and an end as separate poems?

Chris Never said...

hmmmm

Interesting thought, I may have to do a revise on it then, flesh it out a bit more, I will contemplate, thank you for the suggestion mate.

Tangible...lol...I am rarely tangible *grin*

burning moon said...

that's so true! I was forgetting your basic self is an enigma

burning moon said...

you might have a virus in your mailbox. I got an email from you today with a link to a celebrity diet in it.
I don't imagine you would have sent me that?

Chris Never said...

Yeap,I've been hacked by the bloody Russians !!!

Yahoo told me I was sending emails from a Russian IP rofl

sorry about that, I am trying to wrest control back again