Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Henry Said

Henry says

I can't go round
kissing rain drops

But he gets like that

all
pursed lips
his stern fingers wrapped
around a biro
as he scribbles bits of me down
on a oversize note pad

I am watching messages
wing in through the
partly open window
of his office

Folded yellow
paper
with words in bold print
scrawled all over
chittering birds of words
coming
closer


But I can look away
Henry told me
I can look away



It's hard
to listen

listening
to his glistening
mouth
the words plop
and patter
dulcet tones
wash and crush
and wind time
backwards
old grandfather clocks
large hands
spinning fast
in retreat

I nod where I can
smile if I think
it'll be accepted
and look interested
sometimes

he really likes that

if I look like
I am taking it in

Each day is a beginning
Henry says

I'm not sure if a smile will
work for this one
so I nod

Later,
Henry has
given me
this weeks spell
to take to the drug store
and suggested
we are making progress

I am outside
and it's starting to rain
and I promise the sky
no tongues this time

just lips

3 comments:

burning moon said...

I LOOOVE this! It's awesome! I like it better without the explanation at the top. It took me on a magical journey *beaming* loved it. Haven't enjoyed a poem this much in ages :)

Chris Never said...

Well I am exceedingly happy to put a smile on your face mate *grin*

It was good to write, I don't often go in for challenges, but this just bubbled out when I saw the topic *smile*

I have changed the title , good suggestion, I just didnt want you thinking I was suddenly in therapy lol

burning moon said...

lol. new title is great.