Friday, March 13, 2009

Mick wanted to tell her story
to the city
imprint her into
the thrumming hum
of humanity.

His back to the wall
the dull glow beam
of the street light
pooling at his feet

He could always sit
just out of sight
blend with the pavement
his face
crushed cigarettes
and shoe scuff marks

At night
he would turn to the rough block-work
and inscribe his words into the mortar
running between the harsh stone

She is steam
the creaking beams
of my bones
as they crack
and splinter

Heat like old summers
drawn into one long red sunset
the tinged burn of skin
beginning to blister

Pain like foil on filling
so sharp then recedes
and soothed till
jangling nerves leap into
discordant screams

would run in scrawls
within the dry crusted cement


The passing of days
his presence
slowly dissolving
a spilled coke
effervescing
into sticky syrup
licked up by hungry mongrels

The dust poem
chipping into flakes
as years came and watched
came and went or
continued on

His words
now

She is

my bones




one sunset
tinged skin
beginning

Pain
recedes
and soothed

3 comments:

burning moon said...

wow. there's lots in this one. I might have to come back and read it again to make sure I got it all.

I loved 'dust poem' what a great concept!

Chris Never said...

I am not entirely sure this one works yet, it was one of those 'concept' pieces I thought might be good to try, but I don't think I put enough time into the ending, what was left should have been more poignant

burning moon said...

maybe finish with 'now she is my bones'? Or maybe at 'continued on'?