Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Still Dying

A flock of consternation

we descend upon Shell
all flying feathers
and white splotches of guano

Turn the house upside down
spin it around
rearranged
and deranged.

Rick waves a paint brush
a maestro directing us
with extravagant swirls

The color changes
over the course of the day
from soft pinks Shell
selected years ago
to white upon white

She sits outside
the walking frame
parked neatly next to her

reading calmly.

In between taping up
and cutting in
I dodge outside for a moment

smile tentatively

Its coming along well
I offer
scraping paint spots
off my knuckles


Shell's eyes are vast echoing
auditoriums of empty
the sound of my voice
bouncing around and refusing to fade
no soft surfaces to deaden the echo's

Colors are changing
but
I'm still dying



















3 comments:

burning moon said...

it's so unfair that tragedy and sadness seems to bring out the best in us as writers.
This is lovely.

Chris Never said...

Thanks kid, I will track small parts of her journey, selfish I guess,but it helps me cope with it.

burning moon said...

of course *hugs*