Tuesday, June 12, 2007

As a child
I died
and was raised up
once again.

On the gasp of northerlies
pressing air into lungs
too shocked to inhale.

I lay amongst the tussock
and dreamt the sky
would stop flashing past
the clouds scudding
into the dip of the ocean swell

only to sink
regardless
of my hands beseeching.

I tried to catch the sky
and wrap it in the warmth
of a wind cheaters clutch.

So many things
my fingers could not grip

the day

the
layers
of time
I was supposed to care for
and nurture
into the proper contours

Each thing
will follow its course
but I stood outside the flow
and built sand dams
to hold the future.

There was a cypress pine
I called sanctuary

Beneath a canopy of dry sweet
cakes
and golden dark tea stains
that spoke of goblins
and capricious spirits

I was hewn
from the open wound
of cut wood

The chips flying
ripping awareness into eyes
lowered and averted

The bark stripped away
to expose pulped
belief

We knew wrong
all of us
who resided within
the gnarled branches

We saw it
clearly in the bleeding sap and
the brittle leaves turned
brown with death

5 comments:

burning moon said...

This is just wonderful! Absolutely!

I'm sort of at a loss for words really, which is very unusual for me.
I love the very personal up close child's voice and then pulling back to the concern for the tree and grieving its loss. The best kind of poetry. Both intensely personal and also addressing larger issues, and in a beautiful and unique voice.
It's one of your very best Chris, and that's saying something.

One small thing I thought. This line:

and build sand dams to hold the future

I think 'build' should be 'built'?

burning moon said...

oh, ps. I passed my class with an A+! That's the very first time I've gotten an A+ for the whole class. I must be improving!

Chris Never said...

re build/built, absolutely, thankyou, I will change it now.


Thankyou kid, your comments always mean the world to me, and for you to consider this one of my best, well, lets just say it lifts the heart of a man who has been pretty down of late, so thankyou Moon, very much.

A + *beaming smile*

why am I not surprised?

*grin*

Well done mate, seriously, that is just so fantastic

Have a drink for me ok

celebrate, you deserve it, grab one of your girlfriends and go out and have a couple *smile*

burning moon said...

don't be sad little sparrow. It's only life n'est pas?
You never know, something wonderful could be waiting just around the corner!

You always make me feel better. I'll drink champagne just for you. :)

Chris Never said...

Tis true, there is always something good to come, I do know that somewhere inside *soft smile*

Thankyou Moonmaid

x