Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Untitled

You pass me back my face
all ridges and whorls
removed

I will be a smooth plane
for you to create
once again

Your eyes
not yet dead
not quite
the question
you said would
be asked
when the time came

We sit on the courtyard
coffee cooling too quickly
watching the grass consume
the back yard
listening to our child
as she
slowly becomes
something
neither of us can quite touch
or believe in

a fairy tale
where the princess dies
and flies away
dust particles on a broken breeze
her promise of happy-ever-afters

a whispered after thought
still heard
echoing in our coffee cups

The dog scratches and whines
age creeping up behind her
taking hold of the graying fur
and drawing her
down

You put your fingers to my cheek
press in

and start again

remaking
the man
you remember well
though you
cannot tell
if he is really

still here





6 comments:

Bridget M. said...

I know I'm terrible and creepy and I wait very impatiently for you and then you write something and it's just so beautiful. Every last time. Amazing to me how you do that. Wish you'd do it more.

Chris Never said...

Not terrible, or creepy in any way Bridget *smile*, nice to know you are still around and still read my ramblings, I do hope life is treating you well , and that Christmas brings you and your family joy

regards

Christian

burning moon said...

this is so beautiful. Poignant, soft. I love:

The dog scratches and whines
age creeping up behind her
taking hold of the graying fur
and drawing her
down

and this:

You put your fingers to my cheek
press in

and start again

remaking
the man
you remember well
though you
cannot tell
if he is really

still here

... hmm, that's most of the poem really, but I love it all. It's beautiful. Perfect :)

Chris Never said...

There you are !!!! *hugs* it has been a long time Moon, I have been wondering how you are going , hope life is treating you and yours very very well

I have had a tumultuous year *rolls eyes* I keep thinking it will get easier, and it keeps getting harder, maybe next year *sighs*

burning moon said...

mmm, I know what you mean! Been thinking of you, but not had any poetic inspiration for ages.

I'm pleased to say that I'm now happily married though. Had a lovely wedding and a lovely honeymoon and am very happy :) :)

I'm also hoping for a more peaceful laid back sort of year this year, although it's looking like taking off with a hiss and a roar so far. Oh well, least we're not bored eh? lol

Chris Never said...

There is never a dull moment these days I find lol, always something to blind side you in the middle of the night and keep you awake *grin*

As for poetic inspiration, not to worry, these empty spots in our creative flow are merely time to recharge I suspect, or maybe we are losing the urge? not sure, I try not to over think it, so I don't get all wound up when I don't write, I think its important not to put pressure on